Plantation is our new coup de cœur. Rums so different, distinctive and delightful, they have to be tasted to be believed. The best way to begin exploring the range – and much of the Caribbean and Central America – is the Plantation Experience Artisanal Rum Box, containing a 100ml bottle of each of the following:
- Plantation 3 Stars: a complex classic for daiquiris blended from unaged Barbadian, a mix of young and 10-year-old Jamaican, and up to 3-year-old Trinidadian rums.
- Plantation Gran Añejo: a spicy sipper created using rums of at least three years of age from Guatemala and Belize, which are then aged in ex-Cognac casks for a further year.
- Plantation Grande Réserve: this Barbadian rum is made from tropical fruit and coconut, which has been aged in Bourbon barrels in the Caribbean and then old French oak at Château de Bonbonnet, Cognac.
- Plantation Original Dark: a fiery spirit from Trinidad combined with smooth counterparts from Jamaica in Cognac barrels to create a rum with the depth, darkness and thirst-quenching mystery of a well.
- Plantation Peru: a woody, figgy and smoky limited edition distilled in 2004, aged for 12 years in situ, and then two more in France.
- Plantation XO: a chocolaty multiple gold medal winner created to celebrate the company’s 20th-anniversary using Barbadian rum and a wealth of know-how.
In the late 1980s Alexandre Gabriel of the Cognac house Maison Ferrand set off on an adventure; he was scouring the Caribbean and Central America in search of the finest rums. His passion gave birth to Plantation, an artisanal range of rums from the great terroirs of the tropics. Combining French savoir-faire with Caribbean joie de vivre, Plantation’s outturn is a treasure trove for rum lovers and spirits enthusiasts.